This tutorial will guide you through setting up the VNC session and connecting to it from Windows machine.
Available on the following machines
Setup a PuTTY connection
- Download PuTTY and UltraVNC Viewer to Desktop.
- Extract vncviewer.exe to Desktop.
- Start putty.exe
- Connect to one of the machine (i.e. genuse1.lyle.smu.edu) port 22 using SSH protocol
For the first time connecting to a machine, security alert will be asked. Click Yes.
- Login using your Linux Engineering login and password.
- Type vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 800x600 to start the VNC Server on the host
Replace 800x600 with desired resolution. If this is the first time starting vncserver, you'll be asked to setup the password that will be use to connect to the vncserver.
Take note of the number in the phrase "New 'X' desktop is tank:1"
- Right-click on the PuTTY title bar and choose Change Settings...
- Select Connection/SSH/Tunnels
- Add 5900 to the number in 4. and put it in Source port (in this case 5900 + 1 = 5901)
- Type localhost:5901 into Destination (use the same number as Source port after localhost: )
- Click Add
- Click Apply
- Open UltraVNC Viewer
Type in the Destination as configured in PuTTY (localhost:5901) then click Connect
Type in the password created when running vncserver then click Log On
- When finished, close UltraVNC Viewer and type vncserver -kill :1 (change the number to correspond the number in 4.) in PuTTy to terminate vncserver